Engineering-Stream - Software for Engineering Applications
Blank Thickness Calculator - Per ASME B31.3, Process Piping Code
Internal Design Gauge Pressure, P
Design Temperature, DT
Stress value for material from Table A-1, S
Flange Type - Raised / Flat Face or Ring Joint / Fully Retained Gasket Flanges
Type of Flange Face
Raised / Flat Face
Ring Joint / Fully Retained
Pipe Nominal Size
Select Flange Class
Inside dia of gasket for raised face or flat face flanges, dg
Gasket pitch diameter for ring joint and fully retained gasketed flanges, dg_alt
Quality factor from Table A-1A or A-1B, E
Weld joint strength reduction factor per Table 302.3.5, W
Sum of the mechanical, corrosion and erosion allowances, c
Min. reqd thickness, including mech, corr, and erosion allowances, tm
Selected thickness, T
Verify1: Check if selected blank is acceptable or not, T >= tm
Note: Refer to the "Terms and Conditions" in the 'About' section before using the software.
1) ASME_B31_3_Blank is a software program that can be used to determine the thickness of blanks based on internal pressure.
2) The available pipe sizes vary from 1/2 in to 24 in.
3) A number of carbon steel, stainless steel material grades commonly used for blanks are available for use. The materials and their properties presented, are taken from the listed version of ASME B31.3 code. Additional materials may be added on request.
4) Equations used :-
tm = dg * sqrt ((3*P)/(16*S*E*W)) + c; dg1 = dg in eqn; Obtain dg1 from ASME B16.20 - Metallic gaskets for pipe flanges.
5) Minimum Design Metal Temperature (MDMT) needs to be verified in accordance with the code section by the user.
6) This calculator checks for blank thickness only. The user needs to select suitable flanges based on pressure temperature ratings. The user may use our Flange ratings calculator for that.
7) The Program is based on ASME B31.3 Code - 2018 Ed.
8) If you notice any error, please let us know, so that can be rectified.
9) Contact us with any comments / questions : firstname.lastname@example.org
10) Visit us for more software programs at https://engineering-stream.com