Engineering-Stream - Software for Engineering Applications
Pipe Wall Thickness Calculator - Per ASME B31.3, Process Piping Code
Internal Design Gauge Pressure, P
Design Temperature, DT
Stress value for material from Table A-1, S
Pipe Nominal Size and Schedule
Selected Pipe Outside Diameter, Do
Selected Pipe Nominal Wall Thickness, Tn
Selected Pipe Specified Minimum Wall Thickness, T
Quality factor from Table A-1A or A-1B, E
(eg E = 1.0)
Weld joint strength reduction factor per Table 302.3.5, W
(eg W = 1.0)
Coefficient from Table 304.1.1, Y
(eg Y = 0.4)
Sum of the mechanical, corrosion and erosion allowances, c
Pressure design thickness, t
Min. reqd thickness, including mech, corr, and erosion allowances, tm
Verify1: t < Do/6
Verify2: P/(S*E) <= 0.385
Verify3: Check if selected pipe is acceptable or not, T >= tm
Note: Refer to the "Terms and Conditions" in the 'About' section before using the software.
1) PipeSelect_B31_3 is a software program that can be used to determine the wall thickness of pipes based on internal pressure.
2) By choosing the appropriate pipe schedule for the selected pipe diameter, material, design temperature etc., the user can determine if the selected pipe is suitable for the internal pressure considered. Calculations presented are based on the listed version of ASME B31.3 Process Piping code.
3) About 90 different material types and grades (steel) are available for use. The materials and their properties presented, are taken from the listed version of ASME B31.3 code. Additional materials may be added on request.
4) Equations used :-
t = (P*D)/(2*( S*E*W+P*Y));
tm = t + c ;
5) Suggested thread allowance from ASME B1.20.1 - 2013 Ed.
Pipe Nominal Size Height of thread, h (thread allowance) (in)
6) Pressure calculations are based on internal pressure only. When external pressure / other loadings need to be considered, the user needs to consult appropriate code sections.
7) Minimum Design Metal Temperature (MDMT) needs to be verified in accordance with the code section by the user.
8) The Program is based on ASME B31.3 Code - 2020 Ed.
9) If you notice any error, please let us know, so that can be rectified.
10) Contact us with any comments / questions : email@example.com
11) Visit us for more software programs at https://engineering-stream.com